We can help you if you require expert debt and bankruptcy advice. Some of your options are:
Informal Settlements – we can write to your creditors to reach an agreement by either writing off amounts or reducing your debts.
Debt Management Plans – this is like the above, although your creditors are paid monthly installments
Debt Relief Order – this is a low-cost alternative to bankruptcy and you must meet the following criteria:
- you owe less than £20,000.
- you do not own any assets worth more than £1,000 (including your car).
- you have less than £50 each month to live on (after paying household bills).
- you are not a homeowner.
- you have not had another DRO in the last six years.
- you are not currently subject to bankruptcy proceedings or IVA proceedings.
Individual Voluntary Arrangement – we can advise you on whether an IVA is best for you.
- 75% of your creditors in value must agree to the IVA proposal.
- An IVA usually lasts for 5 years.
- You will be required to make full disclosure of your finances.
- Your name will appear on an IVA Register which is a disadvantage as this will affect your credit rating.
Individual Voluntary Arrangement Mis-Selling
You may have a claim against your Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) company if they mis-sold an IVA to you without properly explaining your various options.
Bankruptcy – bankruptcy normally lasts for one year and wipes out most of your debts. We can advise you on those debts which are not caught by your bankruptcy.
Advantages of bankruptcy:
- Most of your debts will be wiped off.
- You can make a clean start, although this will affect your credit rating.
Disadvantages of bankruptcy:
- You may lose your home if you are a homeowner.
- You may have to pay the trustee’s costs.
- You may have to be examined on your finances by a trustee who can examine you at Court.
- This will seriously affect your credit rating.
- This may affect your employment.
- You cannot act as a company director.
- This will affect you operating a bank account.
- You cannot bring most legal claims if you are bankrupt as you require permission.
- The Official Receiver or Trustee in Bankruptcy may make a claim for your income by applying for an Income Payments Order (IPO).
Please contact us if you require advice from an expert debt and bankruptcy solicitor.
Please complete to request a Free Telephone Consultation for up to 15 minutes. We will then arrange a mutually convenient time to call you and the call can take place out of normal business hours.
You consent to us holding your data for the purposes of providing legal services by submitting this form.